Last minute bureaucratic hitch in granting sanctions on Tuesday delayed CBI’s chargesheet in the multi-crore rupees Adarsh housing scam which is now expected to be filed on Wednesday.
While the CBI officially remained tight-lipped about the delay, sources in the agency said some
sanctions against officials involved in the case were yet to come from the Department of Personnel.
The sanction is likely to come today and the agency may go ahead and file the charge sheet in the case against some of the members of upscale society, 18 months after a case was registered in this connection, the sources said.
The case, which fuelled a political storm in Maharashtra leading to the resignation of Ashok Chavan as chief minister, is expected to take another turn, as Maharashtra government may inform the Bombay high court that CBI had no jurisdiction over the case as the land in question belonged to the state and not defence ministry.
Chavan is among the 14 accused in the case in which Union ministers Vilasrao Deshmukh and Sushilkumar Shinde are also under the scanner.
Bombay high court is hearing a bunch of public interest litigations seeking the court’s supervision of the probe and the agency had on June 18 assured the Court that it would file a charge sheet in the case before July 4 as the agency had to take prior sanction from the government to prosecute bureaucrats.
The CBI has registered a case on January 29 last year against Chavan and 13 others which included bureaucrats and retired army personnel.